Leonardo-Finmeccanica introduces the TH-119
May 19, 2016 By Leonardo Helicopters
Leonardo-Finmeccanica has introduced an AgustaWestland AW119 single engine helicopter variant designated as the TH-119 during the Navy League Sea-Air Space Exhibition (Washington D.C., May 16-18). The aircraft is specifically designed for military training customers, primarily the U.S. Navy. The new version features distinctive capabilities and unique features differentiating it from the proven AW119Kx commercial helicopter while keeping certification advantages. Like the commercial AW119Kx, the TH-119 will be built at the company’s Philadelphia facility.
With high safety standards, the TH-119 maintains redundancies on several key systems for maximum safety, while featuring a dual-display Genesys Aerospace cockpit that gives flexibility to instruct from either seat and the option for VFR or IFR (IMC) operations. This makes the TH-119 the best single engine solution in the market for training in demanding weather and low visibility conditions. Other features that set the aircraft apart from its competitors include:
- A unique cabin configuration with an additional 180-degree adjustable trainer observation seat at the base of the instrument panel giving the occupant a full view of the cockpit;
- Full Night Vision Device (NVD) compatible cockpit and cabin with high-visibility cockpit doors and a low-profile instrument panel to ensure maximum visibility from the cockpit;
- Re-enforced skids with replaceable skid shoes which support the multiple repetitions of essential touchdown training maneuvers;
- Cargo hook and hoist options supporting advanced training events;
- And a five-fuel cell option that provides more than five hours of flight time with pressure refueling port allowing for less downtime to refuel as well as “hot” refueling while the engine is still running.
As the U.S. Navy faces increasing challenges to its current training helicopter platforms, the TH-119 helicopter is the best solution for the U.S. Navy at the right time.