Revue Thommen lights the way
July 21, 2011, Waldenburg, Sui. - Revue Thommen of Waldenburg, Switzerland has announced they are in the final stages of development and production of the HSL-1600 Helicopter Searchlight. First production deliveries are scheduled for 3rd Quarter 2011.
“Our searchlight has undergone extensive testing and practical flight trials under the scrutiny of major European helicopter OEM’s and several large fleet operators in the law enforcement discipline and we passed with flying colors,” stated Walter Fischbach, of THOMMEN. “In this industry, in which technology advancements have been limited, we have reason to believe that our searchlight design will revolutionize the business,” Mr. Fischbach pointed out.
All current helicopter searchlight systems are a composite of multiple components; the searchlight, power supplies, junction boxes, slaving software interfaces, etc. The THOMMEN HSL-1600 system is totally integrated within the searchlight itself, simplifying installation and operation. Revolutionary features include:
• A “patent pending” IR filter design that is incorporated within the light assembly allowing deployment at mission airspeed with a range of 1000 meters using the 4° to 20° beam focus capability.
• A large profile mounting plate and streamlined frame that work together to stabilize the beam allowing the aircraft to operate at higher airspeeds during searchlight operations and in normal flight with the searchlight in Park Mode.
• All software including the camera and mission display slaving capabilities are integrated in the searchlight gimbal. The data is delivered from the other mission equipment through the dual RS422 interface standard in the system.
• A significant result of the single component system is a lighter installed weight PLUS a dramatic weight reduction when the searchlight system is removed for daylight operations.
• All solid state drives that deliver unparalleled smooth performance and contribute to the 5000 Hr. MTBF reliability.
• All THOMMEN searchlights will be delivered with an EASA Form 1 Certificate of Airworthiness. REVUE THOMMEN also announced the selection of Instrument Tech of Addison, Texas as the Authorized Service Center in North America for the HSL series of THOMMEN Helicopter Searchlights.
“The one thing that THOMMEN brings to the searchlight industry that no other manufacturer can is the superior workmanship, quality and customer service that are inherent in the Swiss culture and is a paramount component in everything THOMMEN does,” stated Mr. Fischbach.