Special Night Vision course at Heli-Expo
Feb. 22, 2011, Boise, Ida. - Aviation Specialties Unlimited, (ASU) announced today they that they will offer a free Night Vision Aircraft Conformity Course at Heli-Expo from 1-4 p.m. on Monday, March 7th at the South Concourse Room S. 320 G&H. ASU Quality Assurance Manager and Chief Inspector Kip McDermott will teach the three-hour course.
By Carey Fredericks
“We are pleased to be partnering with HAI to offer this in-depth course,” said McDermott. “This course will be a condensed, but comprehensive look at every aspect of night vision aircraft conformity.”
Included in the course will be:
1. Aircraft Modification Types / Methodology:
2. Common types of modification
3. FAA procedures and specification of NVG cockpit modifications
4. STC test / verification / validation procedures: FARs and Guidance
5. Scope of involvement of DAR and DER for NVG STCs.
6. Conformity Inspections –specific requirements for NVG compatible cockpit Supplemental Type Certificates.
7. Owner Operator requirements and continued Airworthiness standards
8. Class A, B and C night vision goggles: Explanation of classifications and their effect on cockpit modifications.
9. Maintenance procedures and practices for NVGs.
Operators that are considering going NVG will benefit from the course and gain advanced knowledge of how to properly maintain their aircraft conformity. Interested operators can register in advance of Heli-Expo online by visiting http://www.asu-nvg.com/register and completing the registration form.
Over the last 15 years, ASU has modified more than 500 aircraft, more than any other company in the industry.
McDermott has been a FAA certified Airframe and Powerplant technician for over 13 years including 3 years of military aviation operational experience. He has conducted aviation maintenance operations in Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean, Northern Africa, Turkey, Egypt, Colombia, and the entire United States.
McDermott’s extensive background includes being a Turbine Engine Repairman, U.S. Department of Defense, Flight Test Crew Chief for Dyncorp Aerospace (European Theater) on UH-1, UH-60 and CH-47D; Certified Turbine Engine Test Cell Operator; Managing Supervisor on 2 Turbine Engine Test Cells for the Department of Defense and Dyncorp Aerospace; Airframe and Powerplant mechanic for life Flight; OAS carded Rotorcraft and Fixed Wing Aircraft for Helicopter Maintenance Corp.; Director of Maintenance for Executive Maintenance Corp.; Director of Maintenance for Access Air, a FAR Part 135 and EMS operator managing 18 fixed and rotor wing aircraft;
For ASU McDermott conducts FAA part 135 and 141 flight operations and FAR part 145 repair station activities to include engineering, installation and certification on numerous Supplemental Type Certificate projects (STC) with 18 STC’s completed for the installation of Night Vision Compatible Cockpit lighting modifications.