Time to recognize outstanding women in aviation, aerospace
January 29, 2015 By Northern Lights Award Foundation
Jan. 29, 2015, Markham, Ont. - The Northern Lights Award Foundation is now accepting nominations for its 7th Annual Awards Program. Each year, the national not-for-profit foundation honours outstanding Canadian women who have made a significant contribution to Aviation or Aerospace, and who continue to lay the groundwork for other women to enter or excel in these industries.
The not-for-profit’s award program, the Elsie MacGill Northern Lights (EMNL) Awards, is named after aviation pioneer and human rights advocate Elsie Gregory MacGill, the world’s first female aircraft designer. MacGill graduated from the University of Toronto’s electrical engineering program in 1927 and later became pivotal in the design and production of the Hawker Hurricane in Canada during the Second World War. During her career, MacGill was appointed to the Canadian Royal Commission on the Status of Women, and was made an Officer of the Order of Canada.
The foundation is always working on new initiatives and 2015 brings the expansion of the Rising Star award category from one nomination to two from all regions of Canada.
The 2014 NLAF winners were:
- Flight Operations/Maintenance Award – Nachelle White, Pilot
- Government Award – Sandra McDonald, President of the Valley Regional Hospital Foundation, the first woman Avionics Technician on the Aurora and the youngest Air Force member promoted to the rank of Master Warrant Officer
- Business Award – Eva Martinez, Director at UTC Aerospace Systems Landing Systems
- Education Award – Lynne McMullen, Chair of the School of Aviation at Seneca College in Toronto and Peterborough
- Pioneer Award – Roberta Bondar, O.C., O. of Ont., MD, PhD
- Rising Star Award – Danielle Metcalfe-Chenail, historian and writer
The 2015 winners will be selected by a judging panel comprised of industry experts and veterans, and will be honoured at a Gala Awards Dinner and Ceremony in the Toronto area on October 3 at the Toscana Banquet and Conference Centre.
To nominate an outstanding woman, or for more information about the Northern Lights Award Foundation and sponsorship opportunities, visit: www.northernlightsaward.ca
Nominations deadline is March 31, 2015.