CAE launches Medallion-6000XR image generator
November 30, 2016 By CAE
CAE has announced the launch of its next-generation CAE Medallion-6000XR image generator.
The CAE Medallion-6000XR was developed with full support for the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) CDB (formerly known as Common Database) standard and builds on the proven features and performance of CAE’s long-standing Medallion-6000 family of image generators and visual solutions tailored specifically for the military market. The next-generation CAE Medallion-6000XR will continue to leverage commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) graphics processors and includes enhanced features that support the creation of highly realistic, interoperable and immersive synthetic environments. The CAE Medallion-6000XR image generator includes the following new features:
- Support for the recently approved OGC CDB standard enabling more accurate terrain profile and enhanced local terrain features such as rivers and roads;
- Enhanced overall image quality and scene density capabilities with detailed synthetic environments and realistic night scenes for greater training realism and fidelity;
- Realistic 3D ocean, wakes, and ocean-to-shore simulation with enhanced whitecap and water illumination effects for improved overall visual cueing;
- Updated scene densities for runways, taxiways, airport contaminants, aprons and terminal buildings delivering unmatched airport realism;
- Support for animated 3D grass and 3D tree effects to further enhance realistic, immersive training;
- Enhanced particle-based recirculation and downwash effects for ownership and companion aircraft;
- Ability to modify OGC CDB synthetic environments at run-time to change the terrain dynamically (CAE Dynamic Synthetic Environment).
The first simulator to be delivered with the CAE Medallion-6000XR image generator will be a CAE 3000 Series helicopter simulator that CAE is currently developing for the Canadian Coast Guard. The CAE 3000 Series simulator will feature CAE’s revolutionary roll-on/roll-off cockpit design and include cockpits for both the Bell 412 and Bell 429 helicopters used by the Canadian Coast Guard.
“The CAE Medallion-6000 image generator has proven itself as one of the leading visual solutions for the defence market, and is used on a range of programs globally,” said Marc St. Hilaire, CAE’s chief technology officer. “Our new CAE Medallion-6000XR will deliver enhanced capabilities for generating highly immersive and realistic synthetic environments. Importantly, we are developing our technologies such as the Medallion-6000XR to fully support and utilize the OGC CDB standard, which will facilitate interoperability and better enable integrated mission training.”